Things To Do
All the local businesses have souvenirs, Heritage Trail DVDs and brochures describing what you can do in more detail. This includes a map of the local Heritage Walk and the local area. An overview of what is available follows:
1. Heritage Trail - covers 11 historic sites including the Pioneer Cemetery, the Old Stone Mill, Geldmacher House, the old Lock-Up and Police Station, Lake Willams, local Churches, etc.
2. 4WD Tours - these cover historic and newer tracks such as the Old Postmans Track, Fastigata to Brown Mountain, Cooma via Kybeyan, etc.
3. Mountain Biking - the diverse terrain offers everything from adrenalin charges to gentle rides.
4. Trout Fishing - available in local lakes, rivers and streams - and Bird Watching.
5. Farmstays - get a taste of the country life. See places to stay.
6. Wildlife Sanctuary - meet the real locals and discover more about them.
7. Local sporting activities - join in golf, tennis and lawn bowls at the Nimmitabel Country Club.
8. Hiking in the National Parks - Nimmitabel is surrounded by National Parks. You may contact National Parks for more detailed information on 1300 361 967 or access their web page on http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/default.aspx .
9. Picnic or BBQ at Lake Williams - A landscaped area around the village lake with public toilets, BBQ and picnic facilities. Close to local shops for a newspaper or take-away or cappaccino.
10. Other websites of interest in the area - The Monaro borders the Snowy Mountains and the Sapphire Coast which are both readily accessible from Nimmitabel. For examples of things to do in our district, you can access http://www.eden.nsw.au/ or http://www.nethercote.nsw.au/
11. Geldmacher House Museum. This historic building was left to the community in the 1860s and now houses a museum of local content. The museum is open daily.
For more information, you may also view the Cooma Visitor's Information Centre at http://www.visitnsw.com/town/Cooma/Cooma_Visitor_Information_Centre/info.aspx