St Andrews Catholic Church - Nimmitabel, NSW - Built 1863
Originally called Nimity Bell, the area was taken up by graziers in the 1840s and a small town began to develop in the early 1850s. In 1858, it was officially declared a town.
The first catholic church on the Monaro was built in 1856 on the present site of St Andrew's in Nimmitabel. It was a rough stone building that soon needed replacing.
The foundation stone for St Andrews Catholic Church - Nimmitabel was laid in early 1863 by Father Patrick Newman, the then Priest in Charge of the Cooma Mission.
The builder was John Geldmacher and the church was completed in 9 months at a cost of five hundred and twenty five pounds . .
In 1917 St Andrews was in need of renovations. Arthur Mawson, a builder from Cooma, is thought to have undertaken the work.